For each 12 ounce sugar sweetened beverage you drink you INCREASE your risk of developing Diabetes by 15% a recent meta-analysis pooled data study of 300,000 people has shown.Vasanti Malik of Harvard has done this recent study. In another study of 88,000 nurses followed for 24 years it was found that those that consumed two sugar sweetened beverages a day increased their risk of heat attack by 35%. Metabolic syndrome has an increased risk of 20% with daily consumption of 2 or more sugar sweetened beverages daily. As you know metabolic syndrome is a constellation of three or more of the following,
2. High cholesterol (triglycerides),
3. low HDL,
4. High blood pressure,
5. increased waist circumference.
Three of these and your struggling with metabolic syndrome and all it's complications.
In a Danish study those that drank a liter or more of sugar sweetened beverages doubled their muscle and liver fat as well as other visceral fat deposits. This study suggests that diet with high amounts of fructose-containing sugars could lead to an increased liver fat ( fatty liver). As fatty liver develops there is and increase in Insulin resistance as the insulin receptors are down regulated. As this happen the insulin looses its ability to lead the circulating glucose into the cells that need it and a high blood sugar is maintained.
So you may want to rethink ordering any of the following at your favorite restaurant or grocery store:
1. IHOP CINN A STACK Pancakes with old fashion syrup 1/4 cup = 1,100 calories with 23.5 added tsp of sugar
2. Cheesecake factory Black Out Cake 1,300 Calories with 38 tsp of sugar
3. Junior mints theater size 4 oz. = 480 calories with 22.5 tsp of sugar
4. M&M milk chocolate 1.7 oz = 230 calories with 8 tsp of sugar
5. Kashi GoLean Crunch ( 1 cup) = 190 calories and 3.5 tsp of sugar
6. Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheat bite size ( 21 biscuits, 1.9 oz.) = 190 calories and 3 tsp of sugar
7. Starbucks Java Chip Frappuchino ( venti, 24 oz.) = 560 calories and 18.5 tsp sugar
8. Cold Stone Creamery very Vanilla Shake ( Gotta Have It 24 Fl. oz.) = 1,550 calories and 32.5 tsp of sugar
9. Cliff Bar Maple Nut 2.4 oz. = 250 calories and 5.5 tsp of sugar
10. Kashi GoLean Chocolate Malted Crisp bar 1.9 oz = 190 calories and 4.5 tsp of sugar
90% of Americans do not eat enough green and orange vegetables, beans, dairy and whole grains. Personally I would limit or eliminate dairy and cut way back on whole grains which are very subtle contributors to many allergy and joint complaints.
Don't fall into the misinformation trap of believing that it doesn't matter where the calories come from. We know very CLEARLY now that it matters and the price many people pay is obese-ogenic life and all of the complications. Obesity is the MOTHER and FATHER of more than 80 - 90% of the disease treated in this country today. If your Obese and your BMI is 30+ your are in critical condition and I hope this information has empowered you to take action. Find a program to correct your problem, if you need help finding one call me and we can discuss your needs on an individual basis. For your convienece I have placed this link for your consideration of a medically safe, fast and effective program to get to your optimum weight.
Victor J Genchi DDS MD
Jama 292:927, 2004
Am. J Clin. Nutr 87:1662, 2008
Diabetes Care 33:2477,2010
J. Nutr. 142:251, 2012
Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 66:201, 2012
J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 96:E1596, 2011